ParentsHave you ever heard of the term intermittent fasting? When translated into Indonesian, the term means fasting diet.
Well, in line with its literal meaning, fasting diet itself is a method of fasting that has a purpose to diet or regulate eating patterns.
Even so, this is different from the fasting that is usually practiced by Muslims such as during Ramadan. If fasting in Ramadan is not allowed to eat and drink until sunset, intermittent fasting can still consume drinks between fasting times.
To find out complete information about this diet pattern, let’s just look at the reviews as follows.
The Benefits of Intermittent Fasting and the Rules to Pay Attention to
Most diets generally use a method of reducing or limiting certain foods. For example, a carbohydrate diet means that we have to reduce these types of foods during the program. This is different from the fasting diet, because this method is more directed to the regulation of your eating habits and patterns.
So, instead of limiting or reducing the food consumed, the method intermittent fasting more towards time management. When should you eat, and when is it time to fast.
Usually, this diet program recommends a person to eat intermittent fasting for 16 hours, but the time can be determined by yourself.
Many people have used this method to get the ideal weight and maintain health. Besides being considered effective in losing weight, fasting diets also tend not to have too strict rules compared to other types of diets.
Related article: Antidepressants: Types, Functions, and Do They Need a Prescription?
Not only that, there are also many studies that show that fasting diets have various health benefits, such as:
- Controlling blood pressure and cholesterol, because fat burning is considered more effective when fasting
- Reducing daily calorie intake, and making insulin more sensitive to food
- Increase the release of the fat-burning hormone norepinephrine (noradrenaline) which then functions to increase the body’s metabolic rate by 3.6-14 percent
- Prevents organ damage
- Good for brain health
- Improve body fitness to stay optimal as a whole.
Indeed, fasting diets have looser rules than the general type of diet, there is no type of food that should not be consumed. But it should be noted, when you consume excessive food during the iftar period while on a fasting diet, then the benefits of this type of diet will not be obtained. That is, we still pay attention to the ideal meal portion as well when applying this method.
How To Do Intermittent Fasting?
Citing the Healthline page, there are 3 popular fasting diet methods applied, including:
- 16/8 method: Limit your daily mealtime from 16 hours to 8 hours. For example, you could eat from 1pm to 9pm, then fast the rest for the next 16 hours.
- Eat-Stop-Eat Method: Do not eat food for 24 hours on several days per week. It looks heavy, but if you are new to fasting diets, then there is no need to immediately apply this method. You can start gradually.
- Method 5:2 diet: Reduce food consumption to 25% of the normal amount, about 500-600 calories per day or the equivalent of one meal. However, this eating pattern is not done sequentially, but is done two days per week alternately.
Related article: 7 diet mistakes that actually make you fatter
By reducing your calorie intake, all three methods can help you lose weight. As long as you don’t eat too much and unhealthy food during the iftar period.
Among the three methods, the 16/8 method is considered the simplest and easiest to implement. For those of you who are doing a fasting diet for the first time, the 16/8 method is the most recommended.
Related article: Help Relieve Pain, These are the Rules for Taking Ibuprofen
Tips for a Successful Fasting Diet
fasting diet or intermittent fasting also actually can be done in various ways according to your ability, really. The important thing is that you need to get used to fasting first and do it consistently.
In order for the fasting diet to be successful, here are some tips that can be applied:
- Make sure your body is hydrated. During the fasting diet, drink plenty of water
- Do fast at night. You will pass it more easily during sleep period
- Don’t just fast, do this diet method along with doing regular exercise
- Avoid consuming excessive or even large amounts of food at the same time during the iftar period. This will make the diet method ineffective and you will be even more hungry the next time you fast.
Some things to note before doing intermittent fast
Parents, if you are not used to fasting, this method may make you more easily hungry, stressed, and weak. You may also experience side effects such as dizziness or nausea while undergoing this diet program, especially if your nutritional adequacy is not met.
However, do not worry, these side effects are generally temporary and usually occur in the beginning. If you get used to it and adapt, these symptoms will disappear by themselves.
Related article: What is the Mayo Clinic Diet? Is the Mayo Diet the Same as the Mayo Clinic Diet?
Although fairly safe, it should be noted that not everyone can or is recommended to go on a fasting diet. This type of diet is not suitable for those who have certain medical conditions such as:
- Have blood sugar problems
- Have diabetes or a history of diabetes
- Currently undergoing treatment
- Have a body mass index below normal
- Have a history of eating disorders
- Are doing a pregnancy program
- Women who experience excessive bleeding during menstruation
- Children, pregnant women, and breastfeeding mothers
Related article: Understanding Everyone’s Normal Body Temperature and How to Measure It
Fasting diet is one of many diet methods to get a regular diet and improve body health. Since everyone’s body is unique, it’s likely that not everyone will be suited to this method. The effects obtained from a fasting diet will also certainly be different for each person.
In order to get an ideal body weight, eating a balanced diet, exercising regularly, and getting enough rest are the main keys.
Parents can do intermittent fasting in order to maintain health. But before doing so, there’s nothing wrong with consulting a doctor or nutritionist first. Especially if you have certain health conditions.
Recognizing Hypophrenia Conditions, Often Crying for No Reason
9 Ways to Prevent and Overcome Bloating Stomach, Powerful and Easy to Practice
Can Trigger Stress, Here Are 10 Ways To Overcome Overthinking You Can Do